Contact Us

See anything on the blog that doesn't look right ?
Want us to review your book?
Contact us at booksvsboys@gmail.com
Powered by Blogger.

Series I love

Follow by ...

Follow on Bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin

I Tour With

Kismet Book Touring
Xpresso Book Tours
CBL Book Tours
RockStar Book Tours
BB Book Tours

Sunday 24 March 2013

REVIEW: On an Edge of Glass by Autumn Doughton




My Rating: Kiss Me Now! (3.5 stars)


Genre: New Adult Romance

Steam Level: mild-warm


“I am on an edge of glass. And it’s breaking.”

Ellie has a perfect plan. Get into Columbia law school and follow in her parent’s footsteps and join their law firm. Then she meets Ben…

“But, here’s a sad fact: perfect isn’t mean to be. When you aim for perfect, you just wind up ruined.”

On an Edge of Glass is beautifully written with a very simplistic plot. A coming of age romance novel at its very basic, girl meets boy and they fall in love after a few bumps in the road. BUT it is done well…yes it’s a bit slow in places and predictable; however I wanted to highlight half the book. Perfect when you are looking for a sweet and mild read to slow down with for a bit.

The writing is what drew me into to this story. It is eloquent and moving. Her descriptions were so beautifully written that I had to catch my breath a couple times. The author really has a way with words and it was what kept me reading through some of the slow parts.

A lot of this book was really good, but there were some things I disliked:

~ This book contains a lot of drinking/partying and sexual tension. That is NOT a bad thing, AT ALL…but when two main characters first attraction is purely sexually and the tension between the two could be cut with a knife I really want that ‘relief’ when they finally have sex. I didn’t really get that here because the sex was barely even glossed over and left me wanting. (And this is just how I felt, so you might not have the same opinion as little ol’ me, lol)

~ A lot more telling than showing. I got a bit tired of Ellie’s inner monologue.

~It contains one of my pet peeves: Lack of communication and misunderstanding are the root of the issues between Ellie and Ben for the most part. I hate it when all the drama could have been cleared up with one conversation.

This book is real and normal. It has its fair share of drama but nothing that is life or death. I liked both Ben and Ellie but I never really felt a connection with them. The supporting cast of characters were a lot of fun and I hope the author will write stories for them as well.

This was an okay read for me, but I would highly recommend it if you’re looking for something sweet and a bit slow paced with realistic characters and situations.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes. I had a hard time deciding which ones to post, lol, the quotes and writing style in general were my favorite parts of this book. The author just has a way with words:

“The trees are the way tress have always been, Elizabeth. What’s different is the way that you’re looking at them.”

“He is the musician and I am the instrument. I glide beneath him, barely breathing, barely thinking.”

“Happiness isn’t something that you can plan for. It comes knocking unexpectedly, just like opportunity. And it’s up to you to answer the door and invite it inside.” 

To Purchase a copy from Amazon --> CLICK HERE
This is a great deal at only 1.99 right now!

~ERIN

2 comments:

  1. I just got this! Great Review ;) Oh, and I'm a new follower <3 #175 to be exact! [I'm fond of rounded 'even' numbers]

    Bethany @ The Reading Vixens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing this on my Amazon recommendations and wasn't sure about it. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete